Answers to your most burning questions about carbon neutral freight service
Flock Freight, the first and only B Corp in freight-shipping and the sole provider of technology-backed shared truckload service, has become the first organization to offer carbon neutral transportation at point of sale — for free.
This change means that all FlockDirect shipments are carbon neutral, effective March 1, 2021.
What are the benefits of carbon neutral shipping?
First, some context: Transportation is the No. 1 source of carbon emissions in the United States, and freight-shipping accounts for 23% of this vehicle movement. According to recent research in our Freight and the Environment infographic:
- Less-than truckload (LTL) shipping accounts for 342 million tons of America’s annual carbon emissions.
- Truckload (TL) shipping accounts for 836 million tons of America’s annual carbon emissions.
Now, the impact of carbon neutral FlockDirect service on LTL and TL freight:
- LTL: Converting all LTL shipments to FlockDirect would be equivalent to:
- Eliminating the amount of carbon emissions that power almost 9 million homes.
- Eliminating the amount of carbon emissions that power almost 20 million cars.
- TL: Converting all TL shipments that move with empty trailer space to FlockDirect would be equivalent to:
- Removing 5% (5.1 million metric tons) of all associated emissions.
- Removing the same amount of carbon as 26,500 football fields of forest.
We use metrics by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for all calculations.
How does Flock Freight guarantee carbon neutral shipping?
All FlockDirect shipments move via shared truckload service. To provide carbon neutral shipping, we supplement the emissions savings of FlockDirect shipments with a carbon offset program, in partnership with Carbonfund.org.
Here’s how it works:
- Our shared truckload service reduces carbon emissions by conserving fuel, removing the environmental risks of remaking (then reshipping) damaged goods, and eliminating the need for resource-intensive LTL facilities.
- We erase the remaining impact of each FlockDirect shipment by supporting Carbonfund.org carbon offset projects. Every time a shipper books FlockDirect, we buy carbon credits that offset the impact of the associated fuel emissions — at no extra cost to the shipper. To see how we calculate shared truckload and carbon neutral emissions savings, read this blog.
We’re currently supporting Carbonfund.org’s Truck Stop Electrification Project, which uses an IdleAir device to reduce fuel emissions from freight trucks. With this device, truck drivers can access all of their cabs’ electric functions during rest periods without idling their engines. As an added benefit of this project, drivers get better sleep without the noise, vibration, and exhaust fumes of idling.
Can you provide proof that my shipments are carbon neutral?
Carbonfund.org records the serial number of each carbon offset that Flock Freight purchases. As a result, Carbonfund.org can send letters of verification to FlockDirect customers as proof of their emission-free shipments.
As a shipper or carrier, how do I participate in carbon neutral shipping?
To receive completely carbon neutral freight service without any added fees, our customers just need to choose FlockDirect, our option for guaranteed shared truckload shipping. To support carbon neutral freight transportation, our carriers just need to run multi-stop shared truckloads for Flock Freight. There’s nothing else to it.
Why did Flock Freight decide to offer carbon neutral shipping?
We believe shippers and carriers deserve a more sustainable way to move freight, one that can help them reduce their organizations’ carbon emissions by thousands of tons. Plus, we’re an environmentally responsible B Corp that thinks offering carbon neutral shipping is the right thing to do.
We look forward to building a more sustainable future together.
If you have any questions about your carbon neutral shipments, please email email@example.com.