Manager, Revenue Accounting
What drives you? Maybe you want to make the world a better place. Maybe you want to advance your career and work with the brightest minds in freight technology. Maybe you want to tackle new, exciting challenges while disrupting an industry. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place.
While we're talking about your role in disruption, let's talk about disrupting job search norms. For example, one study found that men applied to jobs for which they met 60% of the criteria, whereas women applied only when they met ALL of the criteria. Here at Flock Freight, we're interested in your inherent abilities, not just the skills you bring from your last role - if you think you have what it takes to succeed in the role but don't check every box, please still get in touch. We'd love to start a conversation with you.
Flock Freight is proud to sponsor H1-B transfers and sponsorship for OPT candidates for certain positions. Please ask your recruiter if your role qualifies!
Interviewing is a two-way street, so let’s get to know each other. Here’s a little about us:
- We’re a unicorn. Following our recent Series D funding round, our valuation has surpassed $1 billion
- We’re growing fast — like, speed-of-light fast. In the past year, we’ve tripled our workforce and added thousands of square feet in Encinitas and Chicago
- We’ve got support. Our investors include SoftBank, Susquehanna, Eden Capital, Volvo Group Venture Capital, SignalFire, GLP Capital Partners, and GV (formerly Google Ventures)
- Efficiency is in our DNA. Our mission is to reinvent North America’s $2 trillion freight industry by relentlessly eliminating waste and inefficiency
- Algorithms drive our sustainable shared truckload solution. Behind our carbon neutral shared truckload service is world-class tech (and a lot of sweat)
- We’re taking names. Find us on the CNBC Disruptor 50, SDCE 100, SDBJ Diversity & Social Responsibility, and Fast Company World Changing Ideas lists
- We walk the walk. We make a positive impact in everything we do; our B Corporation certification is proof. We were the first B Corp in our industry
- We offer a hybrid work environment, and we are intentional about doing it right. Knowing you have a life outside of work, we won’t ask you to do your job from the office five days a week
About the role:
The accounting team is growing at Flock Freight and we are looking for someone who is passionate about revenue recognition and thrives working in a fast paced environment and collaborating with cross functional business leaders to support business objectives.
The Manager, Revenue Accounting will oversee all aspects of revenue recognition from order to cash. This will include understanding and enhancing our controls, adherence to ASC 606 and overseeing revenue recorded into the general ledger and reported to management.
You are a key leader on the Accounting and Finance Team, partnering closely with a number of cross-functional and cross-finance stakeholders while growing your team. You will have the opportunity to drive cross-finance collaboration in support of both finance as well as business-led initiatives, but also can implement and continually improve existing processes.
- In-depth knowledge of revenue recognition under ASC 606 and proven ability to navigate through the standard.
- Position will begin as an independent contributor and grow into building a team of accountants and/or analysts.
- Partner closely with the Director of FP&A to understand the company’s revenue forecasting model and assist in pulling any relevant reports, as needed.
- Partner closely with the cross functional departments to understand the critical components and interfaces of the various systems that integrate with the ERP system and are relied upon for revenue recognition.
- Work cross functionally with legal team to understand and implement best in practice sales language and documentation to mitigate liability and enhance auditability.
- Review and provide feedback on agreements, focus on mitigating risk, vet accounting implications and confirm we can operationally support agreements (set up new processes as needed), and ensure the best operational and financial outcomes for Flock Freight.
- Maintain ownership and accountability for accuracy, timeliness, effectiveness and efficiency of all processes related to revenue including review of contracts, accounting policies and memos, month-end close, the preparation of the journal entry and balance sheet reconciliations for deferred revenue/cost of goods sold and unbilled accounts receivable/accrued carrier costs.
- Manage a sales commission analyst and improve the sales commission process with more timely reporting of sales commission and a thorough understanding of the commission calculations.
- Enhance the company’s internal controls in order to become compliance with SOX and public company standards.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- CPA and/or experience with US GAAP
- 8-10 years of relevant work experience, including both public accounting and operational accounting
- Public Company experience preferred.
- 5 years of experience managing and leading a team.
- Excellent analytical skills, combined with impeccable business judgment and ability to communicate effectively with and influence senior management.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional, fast-paced environment, and to lead and drive complex operational initiatives.
What’s in it for you?
- Unlimited paid time off: Take the time you need to recharge, stay healthy, and do your best work
- Ownership: As a thank-you for your dedication, we’ll give you the chance to build equity at Flock Freight with stock options
- Retirement plan: Plan for your future with a 401(k) account, which includes sustainable investing options
- Insurance: Health, dental, vision, and life insurance with HMO, PPO, and premium PPO options — plus an elective flexible spending account
- HealthiestYou: Connect with a doctor virtually — 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Commuter benefits: Save on commuting costs with our commuter benefit fund and reimbursements for low-emission transportation purchases.
- Paid parental leave: Take up to eight weeks of paid parental or paid pregnancy disability leave — we’ll coordinate any extra state or insurance benefits for you!
- Fun stuff: Cold brew and kombucha on tap, intramural sports, surf club, free lunches — need we say more?
We’re changing how freight moves for the better, and are having fun doing it. You with us? Visit flockfreight.com/careers to join the Flock.
Committed to creating an environment that’s fair and inclusive, Flock Freight fills open positions based on qualifications, merit, and business need. We value the skills of people from various backgrounds and are proud to hire, promote, and retain talent from a diverse candidate pool. Diverse perspectives are central to innovation at Flock Freight and make our team better.
Flock Freight has zero tolerance for behavior that negatively impacts marginalized groups, including women, people of color, veterans, immigrants, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. We invite people of all identities to join the Flock!
To ensure safety for all of our employees, Flock Freight's offices are fully vaccinated worksites. If you are local to either our San Diego or Chicago office, please know that we will require proof of vaccination to work at these sites. This vaccination policy applies to all Flock Freight offices and sponsored work events.
We look for Flockers who...
Flock Freight promotes a healthy work-life balance
Health, dental, vision, and life insurance with HMO, PPO, and premium PPO options
All of our employees receive stock options
401(k) with sustainable investing options
Talk to a doctor or therapist wherever, whenever
Receive additional commuter funds and pre-taxed dollars to pay for eligible work-related transit
All employees receive a one-time $150 reimbursement for any non or low-emission mode of transportation
All employees receive a one-time $500 reimbursement when purchasing an electric vehicle
Up to 100% salary for 8 weeks that can be taken intermittently during your child’s first year
Up to 100% salary for 8 weeks that can be combined with paid parental leave for up to 16 weeks total of leave
100% of travel expenses covered for any employee, spouse, partner or dependent plus one support person, who needs to travel to access care if they live in a state that prohibits such care
All employees receive a non-taxable reimbursement to cover a portion of the cost of your cell phone and internet
Cold brew and kombucha on tap, intramural sports teams, surf club, free lunches, and more.
Our employees are part of the Flock family. We support our family by providing many paths for growth and empowering people to better themselves through professional development, emotional support, and personal health.
Flock Freight takes our commitment to employees a step further by implementing people-focused initiatives that align with our values as a B Corporation. As a B Corp, we have an obligation to uphold the highest standards for several impact areas: sustainability, philanthropy, diversity, and employee wellness.