Senior Data Engineer, Machine Learning
What drives you? Maybe you want to make the world a better place and tackle new, exciting challenges while disrupting an industry. Maybe you want to solve complex problems in applied machine learning, cloud deployments, or vehicle routing on an unmatched engineering team. Maybe you want to advance your career and work with the brightest minds in freight. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place!
Interviewing is a two-way street, so let’s get to know each other. Here’s a little about us:
- We’re growing fast — like, speed-of-light fast. We have 150 new, full-time Flockers and more square feet — in Encinitas and Chicago — than ever before
- We’re taking names. Find us on the CNBC Disruptor 50, SDCE 100, SDBJ Diversity & Social Responsibility, and Fast Company World Changing Ideas lists
- We’ve got support. Our investors include SoftBank, Volvo Group Venture Capital, SignalFire, GLP Capital Partners, and GV (formerly Google Ventures)
- Efficiency is in our DNA. Our mission is to reinvent North America’s $2-trillion freight industry by relentlessly eliminating waste and inefficiency
- Algorithms drive our sustainable shared truckload solution. Behind our carbon neutral shared truckload service is world-class tech (and a lot of sweat)
- We walk the talk. We make a positive impact in everything we do; our B Corporation certification is proof. We were the first B Corp in our industry
- We ask a lot of our people, but take care of them. Our team has a lot to prove and the attitude to do it. Join our high-performance, high-care culture
- Pandemics aside, we offer flexible work schedules. Knowing you have a life outside of work, we won’t ask you to do your job from the office five days a week
This position is located at Flock Freight HQ in San Diego, CA or Remote
Flock Freight is growing and we’re looking to bring on a Senior Data Engineer to drive the Machine Learning Data Product roadmap of the Infrastructure team. You will build critical products and infrastructure to democratize access to Flock Freight's data and empower the core optimization team composed primarily of Data Scientists and Machine Learning engineers. This person will collaborate closely with the Optimization team and act as a value multiplier by facilitating production-grade data pipelines, base-feature sets, as well as operating feature stores.
- Build a unified feature store to enable rapid and reliable development by Flock Freight's data scientists and machine learning engineers
- Write complex SQL queries and tune them for efficiency to quickly transform data into timely and actionable insights
- Design and implement production-grade data pipelines utilizing big data and distributed streaming technologies like Apache Kafka
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- Strong communication and collaboration skills working cross functionally
- Deep understanding of data pipelines and data science workflows
- You’ve built meaningful pieces of infrastructure in a cloud computing environment. Bonus if those were data processing systems or distributed systems
- Experience building machine learning systems in production such as enabling data analytics at scale
- Exposure to machine learning workflows - you've developed and deployed your own models - even if these are simple proof of concepts
- Systems Engineering - you've built meaningful pieces of infrastructure in a cloud computing environment. Bonus if those were data processing systems or distributed systems
Committed to creating an environment that’s fair and inclusive, Flock Freight fills open positions based on qualifications, merit, and business need. We value the skills of people from various backgrounds and are proud to hire, promote, and retain talent from a diverse candidate pool. Diverse perspectives are central to innovation at Flock Freight and make our team better.
Flock Freight has zero tolerance for behavior that negatively impacts marginalized groups, including women, people of color, veterans, immigrants, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. We invite people of all identities to join the Flock!
We look for Flockers who...
Flock Freight promotes a healthy work-life balance
Health, dental, vision, and life insurance with HMO, PPO, and premium PPO options
All of our employees receive stock options
401(k) with sustainable investing options
Talk to a doctor or therapist wherever, whenever
Receive additional commuter funds and pre-taxed dollars to pay for eligible work-related transit
All employees receive a one-time $150 reimbursement for any non or low-emission mode of transportation
All employees receive a one-time $500 reimbursement when purchasing an electric vehicle
Up to 100% salary for 8 weeks that can be taken intermittently during your child’s first year
Up to 100% salary for 8 weeks that can be combined with paid parental leave for up to 16 weeks total of leave
All employees receive a non-taxable reimbursement to cover a portion of the cost of your cell phone and internet
Cold brew and kombucha on tap, intramural sports teams, surf club, free lunches, and more.
Our employees are part of the Flock family. We support our family by providing many paths for growth and empowering people to better themselves through professional development, emotional support, and personal health.
Flock Freight takes our commitment to employees a step further by implementing people-focused initiatives that align with our values as a B Corporation. As a B Corp, we have an obligation to uphold the highest standards for several impact areas: sustainability, philanthropy, diversity, and employee wellness.