Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
What drives you? Maybe you want to make the world a better place. Maybe you want to advance your career and work with the brightest minds in freight technology. Maybe you want to tackle new, exciting challenges while disrupting an industry. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place.
While we're talking about your role in disruption, let's talk about disrupting job search norms. For example, one study found that men applied to jobs for which they met 60% of the criteria, whereas women applied only when they met ALL of the criteria. Here at Flock Freight, we're interested in your inherent abilities, not just the skills you bring from your last role - if you think you have what it takes to succeed in the role but don't check every box, please still get in touch. We'd love to start a conversation with you.
Flock Freight is proud to sponsor H1-B transfers and sponsorship for OPT candidates for certain positions. Please ask your recruiter if your role qualifies!
Interviewing is a two-way street, so let’s get to know each other. Here’s a little about us:
- We’re a unicorn. Following our recent Series D funding round, our valuation has surpassed $1 billion
- We’re growing fast — like, speed-of-light fast. In the past year, we’ve tripled our workforce and added thousands of square feet in Encinitas and Chicago
- We’ve got support. Our investors include SoftBank, Susquehanna, Eden Capital, Volvo Group Venture Capital, SignalFire, GLP Capital Partners, and GV (formerly Google Ventures)
- Efficiency is in our DNA. Our mission is to reinvent North America’s $2 trillion freight industry by relentlessly eliminating waste and inefficiency
- Algorithms drive our sustainable shared truckload solution. Behind our carbon neutral shared truckload service is world-class tech (and a lot of sweat)
- We’re taking names. Find us on the CNBC Disruptor 50, SDCE 100, SDBJ Diversity & Social Responsibility, and Fast Company World Changing Ideas lists
- We walk the walk. We make a positive impact in everything we do; our B Corporation certification is proof. We were the first B Corp in our industry
- We offer a hybrid work environment, and we are intentional about doing it right. Knowing you have a life outside of work, we won’t ask you to do your job from the office five days a week
About the Role:
We’re looking for an exceptional, collaborative full-stack software engineer to join the team responsible for building and deploying our platform and responsive web applications used by thousands of customers. Our team is made up of a small group of engineers who are passionate about creating innovative solutions built with modern technology. As a member of this team, your talent and expertise will influence the best practices, design patterns, and technologies that we use to deliver the best experience for our customers.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and tune applications
- Implement high-quality, well-documented, test-driven, robust, and maintainable code
- Create automated tests (unit, integration, performance) and write testable code
- Participate in the full SDLC in a fast-paced, dynamic, truly agile workflow
- Work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment
- Analyze requirements and use cases, decomposing them into specific technical, functional, and implementation tasks with high-level effort estimates; write specification documents as needed
- Develop new functionality, application components, APIs, and infrastructure
- Develop responsive and dynamic web user interfaces
- Utilize relational database tools (SQL/SQL-92, MySQL, or similar RDBMS) to manage and persist application state and user data
- Apply modern open source tools and frameworks where appropriate
- Make recommendations regarding the development of new code, reuse or refactoring of existing code, and use of 3rd party and/or open source frameworks
- Take part in the interviewing and consideration of potential new team members
- Provide guidance and technical mentorship to new Flockers
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- At least three years of relevant work experience
- Experience building full-stack web experiences from the data layer to the front end
- Web application development with modern frameworks (e.g. React/Redux, Angular2)
- Practical application of object-oriented and concurrent programming and use of design patterns
- Experience with relational databases
- GCP, AWS, or equivalent IAAS and PAAS cloud services, containerized production deployments
- Git, modern IDEs and build/deployment tools (e.g. sbt, Docker)
- Exceptional problem solving, analysis, decomposition, and communication skills
- Assimilating new information, understanding complex topics, and using judgement to make sound technical decisions
- End-to-end debugging, performance tuning, and monitoring
What’s in it for you?
- Unlimited paid time off: Take the time you need to recharge, stay healthy, and do your best work
- Ownership: As a thank-you for your dedication, we’ll give you the chance to build equity at Flock Freight with stock options
- Retirement plan: Plan for your future with a 401(k) account, which includes sustainable investing options
- Insurance: Health, dental, vision, and life insurance with HMO, PPO, and premium PPO options — plus an elective flexible spending account
- HealthiestYou: Connect with a doctor virtually — 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Commuter benefits: Save on commuting costs with our commuter benefit fund and reimbursements for low-emission transportation purchases.
- Paid parental leave: Take up to eight weeks of paid parental or paid pregnancy disability leave — we’ll coordinate any extra state or insurance benefits for you!
- Fun stuff: Cold brew and kombucha on tap, intramural sports, surf club, free lunches — need we say more?
We’re changing how freight moves for the better, and are having fun doing it. You with us? Visit flockfreight.com/careers to join the Flock.
Committed to creating an environment that’s fair and inclusive, Flock Freight fills open positions based on qualifications, merit, and business need. We value the skills of people from various backgrounds and are proud to hire, promote, and retain talent from a diverse candidate pool. Diverse perspectives are central to innovation at Flock Freight and make our team better.
Flock Freight has zero tolerance for behavior that negatively impacts marginalized groups, including women, people of color, veterans, immigrants, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. We invite people of all identities to join the Flock!
To ensure safety for all of our employees, Flock Freight's offices are fully vaccinated worksites. If you are local to either our San Diego or Chicago office, please know that we will require proof of vaccination to work at these sites. This vaccination policy applies to all Flock Freight offices and sponsored work events.
We look for Flockers who...
Flock Freight promotes a healthy work-life balance
Health, dental, vision, and life insurance with HMO, PPO, and premium PPO options
All of our employees receive stock options
401(k) with sustainable investing options
Talk to a doctor or therapist wherever, whenever
Receive additional commuter funds and pre-taxed dollars to pay for eligible work-related transit
All employees receive a one-time $150 reimbursement for any non or low-emission mode of transportation
All employees receive a one-time $500 reimbursement when purchasing an electric vehicle
Up to 100% salary for 8 weeks that can be taken intermittently during your child’s first year
Up to 100% salary for 8 weeks that can be combined with paid parental leave for up to 16 weeks total of leave
100% of travel expenses covered for any employee, spouse, partner or dependent plus one support person, who needs to travel to access care if they live in a state that prohibits such care
All employees receive a non-taxable reimbursement to cover a portion of the cost of your cell phone and internet
Cold brew and kombucha on tap, intramural sports teams, surf club, free lunches, and more.
Our employees are part of the Flock family. We support our family by providing many paths for growth and empowering people to better themselves through professional development, emotional support, and personal health.
Flock Freight takes our commitment to employees a step further by implementing people-focused initiatives that align with our values as a B Corporation. As a B Corp, we have an obligation to uphold the highest standards for several impact areas: sustainability, philanthropy, diversity, and employee wellness.