FlockDirect vs. other LTL guaranteed services
There’s a lot of truth to the adage “time is money”—and nowhere is that more clear than in the freight industry. The trickle-down consequences of a late shipment delivery affect not only your business and bottom line (in the form of late fees and potential lost clients), but also those of your receivers and customers, especially if their products rely on yours.
Many LTL carriers now offer “guaranteed delivery” services that insure your shipment against missed drop-offs, but the details often vary and it can be difficult to determine which service works best for your budget and unique LTL freight needs. So, Flock Freight® took our shared truckload (STL) shipping solution, FlockDirect™️, and put it up against other industry-leading services to see how it compares … and the results may surprise you.
The Competition: UPS LTL Guaranteed, FedEx Freight Priority & XPO G! Guaranteed
To really determine what value our FlockDirect service brings to LTL shippers, we put it up against some of the stiffest competition around, in the form of two industry heavyweights: UPS and FedEx. Each carrier offers its own premium service that guarantees on-time delivery, though the differences are in the details.
UPS provides less-than truckload freight service in the form of UPS Freight LTL. Standard service includes guaranteed on-time delivery by 11:59 p.m. on a scheduled delivery date at no extra charge. For expedited service, though, UPS offers an added option called UPS LTL Guaranteed for an additional fee. The carrier provides two different branches of this guaranteed delivery add-on:
- UPS Freight LTL Guaranteed, with guaranteed end-of-day delivery (i.e., by 5:00 p.m.) on your scheduled drop-off date.
- UPS Freight LTL Guaranteed A.M., with guaranteed delivery by 12:00 p.m. on your scheduled drop-off date.
These guaranteed delivery schedules are based off of UPS’ published transit times. The end-of-day delivery option is available anywhere within the carrier’s service area, but 12:00 p.m. option is only available within eligible zip codes.
FedEx’s premium LTL service, FedEx Freight Priority, offers many of the same add-on guaranteed services as UPS, but with an even more expedited option available:
- Close of Business Delivery guarantees drop-off by 5:00 p.m. on the scheduled date of delivery, and available everywhere FedEx provides service.
- A.M. Delivery guarantees drop-off by 10:30 a.m. on the scheduled date of delivery. This option is available only in specific zip codes.
- Freight Priority Plus allows shippers to choose a specific delivery time, routing freight onto specialized lanes for faster transit.
With XPO G! Guaranteed, LTL shippers can choose from two on-time guarantee options:
- Guaranteed (G!) Service: XPO’s day-definite guaranteed service, G! promises end-of-day delivery within the standard number of days as determined by XPO. This option is available regardless of zip code.
- Guaranteed by Noon (G!12) Service: This option provides priority morning delivery by 12:00 p.m. on your scheduled drop-off date. The catch—the shipment’s final destination must be within 25 miles of XPO’s LTL service center from which the freight is being delivered.
These are very similar delivery upgrades as those from UPS LTL Guaranteed, but with a couple key differences: each option costs a single flat rate, regardless of shipment or volume; and instead a money-back guarantee of your shipment’s cost, XPO will credit double your upgrade fee in the event of a missed delivery, but will not refund any of your shipment cost.
For any of these guaranteed service options, customers can expect standard pickup windows for LTL service, as well as transit via the traditional hub-and-spoke terminal system.
How does Flock Freight compare?
Of the four premium delivery services, FlockDirect reigns supreme. FlockDirect shipments travel via shared truckload (STL) service, giving you complete control over pickup and delivery times — without additional upgrade fees, unlike either service from UPS or FedEx.
Flock Freight is the only LTL freight shipper that taps into the TL network and creates a shared truckload through freight pooling. Our proprietary algorithms pair your shipment with other freight that’s traveling the same way to offer truckload service along an optimized route with trusted carriers at competitive prices. No terminals, no extra handling, no damage … just faster direct service to the final destination.